Timposter Drops Costume and Runs For Real

admin | May 21, 2010 in Endurance,Music,NYC Marathon 2010,Running | Comments (10)

I met him for the first time in Pittsburgh in September of 2009.  I was in town with Tim McGraw and the Dancehall Doctors for the official kickoff of football season – a huge gig – but we also did a small “under the radar” gig the night before at the Pepsi Roadhouse, a small club that we packed out to raise money for charity.

He caught THAT show, and we met in passing. Shot a photo.  I remember he asked me some questions about running with Team McGraw…like he was thinking about it.

Lee Crites. I’ve not seen his show, but I know the story.  I’ve seen the video clips.  He is a Tim McGraw impersonator in Michigan – dresses the part, performs the tunes, and makes a living as a down-home doppelganger.

I love that I used doppelganger.  I crack myself up.  Lee prefers tribute artist; more often than not, I’ve come to refer to him instead as our team Timposter. (Rhymes with imposter.) Yep…after a few months of training and quiet deliberation, he’s signed up and ready to run the New York City Marathon with me and the rest of Team McGraw!

We actually went for run together at our concert stop in Grand Rapids, Michigan back in February.  I had a break before soundcheck that afternoon, so we connected at the arena and went for a short run through downtown.

It was icy, snowy, slushy.  Not built for speed, but for trepidation.  Care was needed to avoid unwanted twisted ankles.  Even so, Lee kept a good pace on our little jaunt.  He’d been training already, and with many months left until the marathon in November, it would seem our “Timposter” was on track for the big race!

It’s kinda funny, though.  He did sorta look like Tim, even when he showed up to run…but not REALLY.  Then again…even the REAL Tim doesn’t always look like himself sometimes.  “I saw The Blind Side twice, and I didn’t even recognize him!” I’ve heard folks say that.  Sure, if Tim’s got on the stage armor…but in regular clothes…

Hang on a second…now that I think about it, I’ve NEVER seen these two guys standing together…just like you never saw Bruce Wayne and Batman at the same time…

No…it couldn’t be.

10 Responses to “Timposter Drops Costume and Runs For Real”

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

1. Comment by ChristineMay 22, 2010 at 1:17 am

Welcome to the Team McGraw, Lee! And thanks for your dedication in training for the NYC Marathon in November, and support to the Tug McGraw Foundation.

But just one thing, shouldn’t Jeff be wearing the bandana that you have on in this picture, and you his cap?

Ya Gotta Believe!

Christine Donovan, Team McGraw Teammate

2. Comment by MarcyMay 22, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Awesome article Jeff! Thanks!!

:) Marcy
    (aka Lee’s better half)

3. Comment by Lee CritesMay 23, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Thanks, Jeff, for a great article. I am very honored to be a member of Team McGraw and to help in the fight against brain cancer.

Hey Christine, I think I was trying to be a “Jeffposter” for that picture with McMahon, but I don’t think I have the long hair for it! (LOL.)

4. Comment by Stacy — May 23, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Doppelganger.. heehee, you crack me up as well! I’ve seen this fella around online. Seems like a good fella. I love how you placed yourself closest to the emergency exit just in case thing went awry. :~) And might I add, lovin’ ya in the purple! Not every guy can pull that off McMahon! Hugs! And glad to see you have yet another great teammate for Team McGraw!!

5. Comment by KevinMay 24, 2010 at 10:56 am

This could be fun… and funny. I wonder if we can get him a coolmax black cowboy hat??

6. Comment by KimmyT — May 24, 2010 at 11:45 am

oh boy, this is going to make for a fun time in nyc….how many crazy tim fans are going to break through the barricades along the route trying to get a photo? lol.

7. Comment by Matt Beck — May 24, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Welcome to the team, Lee.

8. Comment by Doc RimMay 24, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I hope he can run FAST! Welcome aboard, Timposter! :-)

9. Comment by EmilyJune 2, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Welcome to the team, Lee.

10. Comment by AmyJune 5, 2010 at 10:44 am