Memorial Day

admin | May 30, 2011 in Military,WordSmatter | Comments (67)

(Photograph provided by Major Dave Bingham of the I-10 Attack Battalion when stationed in Iraq.)

On this day of remembrance, I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks to our servicemen and women that have bravely laid down their lives in the name of freedom and compassion.

They have served to defend those unable to defend themselves.  They have served to provide liberty for those that have seen their liberty denied.  They have served in response to hardship, oppression, catastrophe, disaster, and death.

In wars and conflicts spanning the globe, they have answered the call and responded, putting first their fellowman.  As Americans, they have served on my behalf…on our behalf.

They have given their lives through their service.  Customarily, it is on this day, Memorial Day, that we remember them and pay tribute to those that have given so selflessly.

In humble gratitude and reverence, THEY ARE REMEMBERED.

67 Responses to “Memorial Day”

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

1. Comment by Kathy Brown — May 30, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Amen to that, Jeff. We lost a cousin in Afghanistan this year; it was a terrible hardship on our family, but most of all on his Mom, Dad, and siblings. Let’s not forget those that are left behind; thanks to you as well for your ULTIMATE sacrifice!

2. Comment by Elizabeth Taylor — May 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Thank you for serving our country. If it wasn’t for y’all, we wouldn’t be doing the things that we are today.

3. Comment by laura — May 30, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Thank you!

4. Comment by Ann Dalton — May 30, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Thank you!!!

5. Comment by Veronica Mallick — May 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thank you all so much for our freedom.

6. Comment by pink — May 30, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Thank you, soldiers, for everything you have ever done for us. Thank you for giving up your life to fight for us; you will be remembered in our hearts forever. We could never thank you enough. Y’all are our HEROES.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!

7. Comment by SPC.Reeder, Rebecca — May 30, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Hoorah…………….

8. Comment by Betty Bisel — May 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

God Bless YOU.

9. Comment by Donna Moulton — May 30, 2011 at 2:03 pm

God bless you one and all ……. on this day and every day.

Donna

10. Comment by Sandy Hartley — May 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thank you for all you have done for freedom at home here in the USA. Thank you for dedicating your lives to the nation’s freedom. We appreciate the time, honor and dedication each one of you have given for our safety. We know you miss your loved one’s and we hurt that you have to be there for us and miss your families. I wish you all a quick return and a safe deployment. We all look forward to your coming back home again.
    Thank you for all you do.

Sincerely,
    Sandy Hartley

11. Comment by susan alexander — May 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thank you !!!!!!

12. Comment by tiff strack — May 30, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Thank you for all you have done; because of the men and women, my children are free to be themselves and so can we. I hope you all come home soon to your own families to see them and hold them. They need you too…God bless you all.

13. Comment by patricia garai — May 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

I’m so glad that we’re free; I love freedom. Thanks to all those who fight for freedom. Thank God; God bless.

14. Comment by Loretta A Marine Mom — May 30, 2011 at 2:05 pm

Thank You!

Praying for you all to come home safe! May God Bless You and Keep You. May God Cause His Face To Shine Upon You!

A Marine Mom

15. Comment by Mary Ann — May 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

I want to thank one very special person in my life for serving our country – my brother-in-law. Thank you so much, Myron McElroy. You are one of the best!

16. Comment by tracy pina — May 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

Prayers to my fellow Veterans and the soliders that are serving now. I’m grateful to all those who have and continue to serve for Our great Nation; God bless one and all.

17. Comment by DebbieMay 30, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Travis, we love you and miss you every day. You are my hero. God bless you.

18. Comment by Ashlie Johnson — May 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Thank you for putting your lives on the line for our country every day. You truly are a hero!

19. Comment by Bill and Gayle Rice — May 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Our gratefulness for the men, women and children who Sacrifice for the freedom we have in these United States. God bless each and everyone of you.

20. Comment by juanita — May 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm

Yes, thank you to you that have served, and thank you to all of the familes of those who gave their lives serving; your loved one was special and is a hero. Amen.

21. Comment by Robin Baker(Zigmant) — May 30, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Thank you to all my brothers who have served and to all those who continue to serve in any branch of the military!!!! Thank you!!!!!!! Be safe and come back home soon!!!!!

22. Comment by Kathleen Hickson — May 30, 2011 at 2:15 pm

To all that have served, please know we love you; to those we have lost, you will be safe in God”s embrace.

23. Comment by carl kraussMay 30, 2011 at 2:18 pm

I would like to thank all of the men and women that serve in our miltary, to keep this country free…if it was not for them….I do not know where we would be right now. I want to thank every one of them….on this day.

24. Comment by kathy — May 30, 2011 at 2:20 pm

Thank you to all the men and woman!!! You all are amazing!! Thank you for letting me wake up to freedom everyday!!! I miss and love you dad! Thank you for serving our country. The rest of the men and women, please come home safe!

25. Comment by Barbara S. — May 30, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Thank you to all our men and women serving in peace and war; my heart goes out to the ones left behind because war is hell on the home front, too.

26. Comment by Sheron Robertson Lile — May 30, 2011 at 2:22 pm

Thank you so kindly.

27. Comment by Jan Hobbs — May 30, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I am so very proud to be an American, to be able to live in the land of the free, because of the brave! I salute all military members, past and present, for their sacrifice. I know that God will bless you all.

28. Comment by Gail Faulkner — May 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

God bless all of our military serving our country around the world!!!

29. Comment by Lauren Lu — May 30, 2011 at 2:24 pm

Thank you to all that have served our great country, as well as those who are serving and to all of the families that have lost loved ones, whom have served, are serving or even those getting ready to. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for our freedom.

30. Comment by Sheron Robertson Lile — May 30, 2011 at 2:26 pm

God Bless each and everyone who served and lost their lives to keep America Free. And that are still keeping us Free…God Bless the USA.

31. Comment by Hootie ClarkeMay 30, 2011 at 2:29 pm

There are no words that can repay you for your courage, loyalty and sacrifices.

32. Comment by Belinda McKay — May 30, 2011 at 2:34 pm

Thank you to all of you great men and women fighting for our country! My prayers are for you and with you; may GOD bless you and your families.

33. Comment by dorothyMay 30, 2011 at 2:35 pm

My Grandson is now serving in the Marines and I couldn’t be prouder!!

34. Comment by Rhonda Bowman — May 30, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thinking of all our heroes, today and everyday. God Bless you all. My Son, my Airman, my Hero: Nicholas Bowman, Bragram, Afghanistan.

35. Comment by Barbara Piet — May 30, 2011 at 2:45 pm

My heart is heavy for all those that served our country for our freedom and especially those that lost there lives while serving. God bless you one and all.

36. Comment by Cheryl Barnhardt — May 30, 2011 at 2:45 pm

We acknowledge and honor the thousands of young Americans who VOLUNTEER and DIE to protect ALL of us and our freedoms and ideals we hold so dear. Thanks to all of you and your families for selflessly protecting us and our allies from those who would do us harm. Thanks to all Veterans with us and who are gone for your selfless service to this great experiment we call the United States of America, land of the free.

37. Comment by Jane Milliron — May 30, 2011 at 2:48 pm

You are in our hearts…now and forever more! Thank you to all who have worn and who wear the uniform of the US Military.

38. Comment by sherry orenderMay 30, 2011 at 2:56 pm

I would like to remember all the men and women of our forces that protected us near and far, now. then, and in the future…and send a hand of gratitude to the loved ones (wives, mothers, fathers, sons and daughters) the struggle thru life with grief and sadness for the loss of these brave men and women. May God bless all of them……we salute you.

39. Comment by Terri — May 30, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Thank you for all that you do for us. My family’s prayers goes out for each and every one of you. God bless y’all.

40. Comment by Meme — May 30, 2011 at 3:00 pm

God bless all of our veterans and soldiers. Thank you for protecting and serving our great USA.

41. Comment by Emily — May 30, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Thanks all the men and women that have served our country! We are praying for you all.

42. Comment by Traci — May 30, 2011 at 3:12 pm

To all the men and women who are serving and who have served: thank you for my freedom. May you never be forgotten.

43. Comment by Don Husted — May 30, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Thank you to all that have fought for our freedom and the freedom of others!! Thank you to all of you that have lost their lives in these conflicts!! You will remain in our hearts and memories forever!!!!!

44. Comment by Pat Warren — May 30, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I want to thank all of you for the sacrifices that you all make each day for our freedom.
    I have several family members who have served in the military, all the way from WWll to the first Gulf War.
    You are in my prayers.
    God bless,
    Pat

45. Comment by alexis best — May 30, 2011 at 3:32 pm

“The roses blossom white and red
    On tombs where weary soldiers lie;
    Flags wave above the honored dead
    And martial music cleaves the sky.

Above their wreath-strewn graves we kneel,
    They kept the faith and fought and fight.
    Through flying lead and crimson steel
    They plunged for freedom and the right

May we, their grateful children, learn
    Their strength, who lie beneath this sod,
    Who went through fire and death to earn
    At last the accolade of God.”

46. Comment by Jackie — May 30, 2011 at 3:33 pm

Thank you, with love!!

47. Comment by Debbie — May 30, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Thank you so much for all the men and women of courage and strength of character. I appreciate you all and thank God for you. God bless and protect you in all that you do, and may He watch over your families.

48. Comment by Frances T — May 30, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Not only with our thanks for the men and women serving in the military today for our freedom, let us remember they volunteer for this, and for that alone we give you all our thanks! Keep God first in your hearts and return home to us safe!!

49. Comment by Courtney — May 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for doing what you are doing. There are no words that would express to you the gratitude I feel. My son-in-law is stationed in S. Korea. He and my daughter were just married this past March while he was on R & R. I watch her miss him on a daily basis and it breaks my heart to know this is going on all over the world. Families separated by war or distance. I pray for you safe return and may God keep you in his constant care. I salute all of you. Families too, for giving the ultimate sacrifice. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

50. Comment by Sally — May 30, 2011 at 4:13 pm