Leap Day: My Launch into 2012

admin | February 29, 2012 in Endurance,Music,Running,WordSmatter | Comments (9)

LEAP DAY: the one extra day we are given every four years so the world can catch up on itself.  Typically, Earth has 365 days to make her yearly journey around the sun; even so, we snag an extra day every fourth year so the world can make her way around…and we can reset the clock.

February 29th is a day we rarely see, so it seems I should make the most of it – use it to its fullest – and get some of these random things circling my world back under control.

If only I knew what some of these random things actually were.

Now, we’ve all heard it: “Look before you leap.”  Normally, I’d agree.  (Those that know me well are laughing; “Yes, he would.”)  It makes sense to check the course and scout out the unknowns ahead, before launching off in the wrong direction and ringing a bell you can’t, well, un-ring.

That being said, things are a bit foggy around here.  It’s hard to see what’s around the corner, and though I’d like to know a bit more about what’s in front of me before launching off…I’m tired of waiting.

So, I’m just gonna have to get good with not knowing.  Pieces of what’s ahead, I’m sure I’ll recognize.  Adventures peppered with big chunks of “I didn’t see that coming!” and “Wow! Who knew?” may well catch us all by surprise, but it’s time to get these feet churning.

Okay.  Here…we…GO!

(“The only man who makes no mistakes is the man who never does anything.” - U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt)

9 Responses to “Leap Day: My Launch into 2012”

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

1. Comment by Elisabeth — February 29, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Well said, Jeff … and reminiscent of one of my favorite quotes: “Leap and the net will appear” (John Burroughs). Wishing you a lot of “better than I could have imagined.”

2. Comment by Genvieve — March 1, 2012 at 7:52 am

Nicely done! Think we can all take a piece from this. I know I certainly will.

3. Comment by Stacy — March 1, 2012 at 9:05 am

What a wonderfully worded piece, McMahon. Definitely has got me to thinking. Thank you!

4. Comment by Deb — March 1, 2012 at 9:18 am

Very well put, Jeff!! Enjoy the unknown; Life Is an Adventure.

5. Comment by Christine — March 1, 2012 at 10:25 am

Jeff…first, it’s good to have you back on here writing your thoughts down! You definitely have the gift of writing.

Secondly great picture, and I hope you landed safely! (That looks like quite a leap!)

Thirdly, your quote fromTeddy Roosevelt is excellent, and I tend to agree with him. We can’t sit idle…or we get stuck. I believe we learn by DOING and taking action! Yes… it’s scary to take that “leap of faith” and mistakes can be made along the way. BUT sometimes one finds out the most pleasant surprises when we’re NOT expecting them.

So, go take that LEAP, be strong and keep the faith. You have many here to support you.

6. Comment by Donna — March 1, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Sounds as though you’ve had some quality reflective time. Glad to hear you are inspired to live a life of spontaneity. A wise man once said “Ya Gotta Believe!” :-D

7. Comment by Jamie C. — March 1, 2012 at 4:11 pm

As you leap, know that you have friends all around that support you & love you no matter what …….. don’t forget to allow them the gift of Grace by helping you when you need it. Love the quote also.

8. Comment by Stacy Jo — March 1, 2012 at 4:47 pm

READY-SET-JUMP! I’m leaping so high soon I think I may bump my noggin on the moon….you’re not alone! May the best of what life has to offer find you wherever you land. *hugs*

9. Comment by Liz Weed — March 1, 2012 at 5:36 pm

I have to share my favorite quote after reading this piece. “Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson